The Sorbonne-Kazakhstan Institute was established in 2014 on the basis of cooperation between the Kazakh National Pedagogical University named after Abay and the Sorbonne University Paris Cité. This international project fits fully into the context of the development of the higher education system pursued by the Government of the Republic of Kazakhstan and takes into account the importance of international exchange in this field.
One of the main objectives of the Sorbonne Institute-Kazakhstan is the development of higher education in Central Asia in French language through programs specifically adapted to the current needs and realities of the labor market. The Institute prepares professionals who have undergone innovative methods in education and are ready for professional activity.
The Institute offers Kazakh-French international Bachelor`s and Master`s degree programmes and Kazakhstani educational programmes for Bachelor`s, Master`s and Doctoral studies.
The Sorbonne-Kazakhstan Institute of Kazakhstani National Pedagogical University named after Abay implements the following two-diploma educational programs with the leading French universities:
- Two-diploma master`s program - "International dialogue in the context of globalization". (Sorbonne-Paris Cité University, INALCO);
- Two-year bachelor`s degree programme in International Law (University of Lorraine);
- The double degree programme at the master`s level in fiscal law (University of Lorraine);
- Two-year Master`s degree programme in health-care management (Sorbonne University Paris 13)
- The two-degree master`s programme in Marketing (University of Poitiers);
- Bachelor`s degree programme in economics (University of Poitiers).
In addition to the two-degree programmes, the Sorbonne-Kazakhstan Institute implements joint educational programmes which allow students to attend classes of French professors, participate in various academic mobility competitions for semester studies in partner universities (in France) and upon completion of their studies they receive a corresponding certificate:
The Joint Baccalaureate Programme "International Law and European Law".
The Joint Baccalaureate Programme - "International Dialogue between East and West in the Transformation of the Global System".
The Sorbonne-Kazakhstan Institute (ISK) is the leading institution in Kazakhstan for the training of young francophone professionals in international law, international relations and economics. More than 50 KIC students are enrolled in Kazakh-French dual degree programs and attend classes of French professors. More than 400 students at ISK have a high level of French language proficiency and are participants of joint educational programs.
The ISC is an institutional actor, working closely with a network of national institutions (Constitutional Council, Supreme Court, Nursultan Nazarbayev Foundation, Republic of Kazakhstan Agency for Counteraction of Corruption, General Prosecutor`s Office, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of Internal Affairs), Intergovernmental agencies (United Nations, UNESCO, Agence Universitaire de la Francophonie (AUF), the World Bank...), businesses (French Chamber of Commerce and Industry in Kazakhstan) and diplomatic missions (French Embassy in Kazakhstan, French Consulate General in Almaty, Russian Consulate General in Almaty, US Consulate General in Almaty.... ) ).
In this context, the ISC has organised several large-scale events (International Conference on Law in 2018, 2019 and 2020, 3 Franco-Kazakh forums on security, ISC development and sustainable development in 2018, 2019 and 2020, Night of Ideas in 2019....). A number of major international events in 2020 can also be noted:
- 28.08.2020 г. International scientific-practical conference devoted to the 25th anniversary of the Constitution of the Republic of Kazakhstan "Constitutional values as a legal basis of consolidation of society for overcoming global challenges" (http://sorbonne.kaznpu.kz/en/news/265/).
-26.10.2020 г. International online forum of young scientists "Nazarbayev Model - strategic response to the challenges of the XXI century. (http://sorbonne.kaznpu.kz/en/news/276/).
- 22.12.2020 г. International round table on the theme: "Actual issues of modernization of law-enforcement and judicial system in Kazakhstan" (http://sorbonne.kaznpu.kz/en/news/285/).
- 29.12.2020 г. International round table devoted to the 25th anniversary of the Constitutional Council of the Republic of Kazakhstan on the theme: "Nursultan Nazarbayev`s Constitutional Paradigm as a Response to Global Challenges" (http://sorbonne.kaznpu.kz/en/news/286/).