Institute of History and Law
Main / Institutes / Institute of History and Law / Virtual laboratory of visual anthropology of Kazakhstan
The main goal of the laboratory is to create an online platform for the historical and anthropological studies of visual narratives and practices of gaining agency on the visual materials of Kazakhstan culture of the late XIX - early XXI century. It is necessary for modernizing memory studies in Kazakhstan, as well as the development of methodological recommendations for integrating this issue into the educational process. The visual content, which is planned to fill the library of the laboratory, reflects the synergistic nature of the forms of Kazakh culture and provides an opportunity for a comprehensive transdisciplinary study of their evolution from Modern times to our days. According to the general digitalization in the world humanities, transdisciplinary theories of the image are being formed with an emphasis on the evolution of identity, agency and semiotics of the visual. The immersion of the visual in the historical-anthropological context distinguishes between optical perception, a look at the meaning of cultural methods of perception and how historical knowledge is reproduced in images. Within the framework of the laboratory, we propose to immerse the visual culture of Kazakhstan of the Modern Times to our days into a historical context.
- Placing materials in electronic format: scientific publications, links to online lectures by researchers of visual anthropology and related research topics; monographs and textbooks, scientific articles by researchers - historians, anthropologists, sociologists and other specialists in pdf; published albums with visual sources or links to official websites of electronic libraries, museums, scientific centers, where visual sources are publicly available; methodological instructions for working with visual historical sources (photocopies of archival documents, drawings of the XVIIIth-XXth centuries, photos of the XIXth-early-XXIst centuries, documentary and feature films, television programs of the XXth century), announcements of planned events.
- Research and educational work with undergraduate students, undergraduates and doctoral students based on digital tools, which will facilitate the interaction of the faculty of Abai KazNPU with students and among themselves in order to develop research competencies in the field of visual anthropology.
- Organization of scientific conferences, seminars, trainings, scientific internships for researchers.
IRN AP08857194 "Visual anthropology and the history of images of Kazakhstan culture in XIX - XXI centuries: evolution and gaining of agency"
The main idea of the project is transdisciplinary study of visual culture of Kazakhstan of the end of XIX - beginning. 21st century. The results of the research will contribute to the formation of an innovative base of historical and cultural knowledge and the modernization of historical consciousness.
While visual material has been used more frequently in historical studies as illustrative material, this type of source has a significant heuristic potential for historical research, especially in the new and emerging time, in the context of the expansion of modes of communication and the preservation of visual information and the evolution of forms of visual coding of identity.
The goal of the project is historical-anthropological study of visual narratives and the practice of gaining subjectivity on the visual sources of Kazakh culture of the end of the 19 - beginning 21st century in the context of challenges of modernizing historical consciousness.
1. Dalayeva Tenlik, PhD in History, Associate Professor, Project Manager, Chief Researcher
Web of Science Researcher ID AAQ-9900-2020
2. Sultangalieva Gulmira, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor, Chief Researcher
Web of Science Researcher ID AAQ-7142-2020
3. Abylkhozhin Zhulduzbek, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor, Chief Researcher
4. Amanzholova Dina, Doctor of Historical Sciences, Professor, Chief Researcher
SCOPUS (ORCID) 26033832300
Web of Science Researcher ID D-3100-2013
5. Assymova Dariya, PhD, Leading Researcher
6. Krupko Igor, PhD student, Researcher
7.Kaliyeva Bekzat, PhD student, Researcher
Virtual laboratory of visual anthropology of Kazakhstan
e-mail: Visual Anthropology Laboratory- firstname.lastname@example.org
+7 747 791 0797 - Тенлик Токтарбековна Далаева
+7 777 910 9305 - Игорь Владимирович Крупко
YouTube Channel "Visual Anthropology of Kazakhstan"
050010, Republic of Kazakhstan
Almaty, Dostyk аve., 13
Сitizen reception on personal matters
Center of Excellence and Distance Education
Scientific publications of the University